Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book Blogger Hop: September September 20th - 26th & Feature & Follow #7

Book Blogger Hop

Welcome to the new Book Blogger Hop!

If you want schedule next week's post, click here to find the next prompt question. To submit a question, fill out this form.

What to do:

1. Post on your blog answering this question:

This week's question submitted by Elizabeth


September 20th - 26th: What is your favorite genre? List two of your favorite books in that genre. (submitted by Elizabeth)

2. Enter the link to your post in the linky list below (enter your Blog Name and the direct link to your post answering this week’s question. Failure to do so will result in removal of your link).


3. Visit other blogs in the list and comment on their posts. Try to spend some time on the blogs reading other posts and possible become a new follower.  The purpose of the hop is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog.
 
 

Guinevere's Answer:
Definitely fantasy and that goes for all of it's sub-genres. I guess I just like to get lost in another world. Far too often we're faced with ongoing, everyday problems, so Fantasy themed books are my "Red pill".


As far as my two favorites in this genre, it's hard to sim it down but a recent read by Tiffany Trent called "The Unnaturalists", i highly enjoyed for it's diversity and ability to recreate the Steampunk genre to include diversity. Steampunk isn't popular on diversity so whenever I see an author incorporate it, I'm sold.

I also really liked Eon. My sister raved so much about it to the point where she annoyed me with how great it was and to be honest, it really was a great series!It took me away with it's world building, I was impressed!





Libertad's Answer:
Well the my favorite genre is easy! Fantasy all the way. I lean more towards Heroic Fantasy but as long as the world building is solid, it can really be any one of it's sub-genres.

As far as my 2 favorite books in the genre, it's tricky. I'd like to think of myself as a reader that has no alliance to a particular book. But one book in particular I loved in this genre was Eon. I know i'm piggy backing off of Guinevere, but I read it first!!! The world Alison Goodman imagined was surreal, it had me wanting to call my own dragon,lol.

As far as a second, The Clockwork Prince(it's the farthest i've made it in the series so it could change once I read Clockwork princess)I really loved! I was so happy to see that Cassandra Clare was able to recapture the same magic(if not better than The Mortal Instruments)the first set of books had, while still incorporating multiculturalism. And considering it was in the 1800s, people consider that era almost impossible to feature diverse characters, but The Infernal Devices series adds to the list of books that have proven this wrong!

Linky List:

URL: Link to your blog hop post
Name: Your first name @ Title of your blog  

 September 20th-26th




(Submissions close in 6d 20h 31m)
Link tool by inlinkz.com





We totally dig Facebook likes, gfc follows as well as bloglovin and networked blogs but prefer gfc follows and facebook likes!



Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!

What sets this Hop apart from others, is our Feature. Each week we will showcase a Featured Blogger, from all different genres and areas. Who is our Feature today? Find out below. Just remember it is required, if you participate, to follow our Features and you must follow the hosts (Parajunkee & Alison Can Read) as a courtesy. How do you follow someone? Well, if you have a preference, state it in your #FF post. A lot of blogs are transitioning to Wordpress in which they do not have the luxury of GFC, so an RSS subscription is appreciated or if you choose an email subscription. If you don't have GFC please state in your post how you would like to be followed.

This week's Question:

What were some of your favorite picture books as a kid? If you have kids, what are your favorites to read to them?



Guinevere's Answer:

The first one to come to mind is Why mosquitos buss in People's ears by Verna Aaderna. It had a really good message about how your decisions influence things that come after. To be honest its more than a children's book. It teaches a really good lesson about life.





Libertad's answer:
Very easy, that would be Anansi, The Spider.I remember really loving this book as a child and to this day Anansi, the trickster god in some African and Caribbean cultures intrigue me. African and Caribbean cultures don't paint spiders to be bad, just tricky, lol. I'll probably have this book lined up when I have kiddos of my own!


Any follows via gfc, bloglovin or networked blogs are appreciated but we prefer GFC, oh and like us on Facebook!

58 comments:

  1. Fantasy!! LOL I suppose some of my reading are also Fantasies, which I totally forgot about. But for me, the genre has definitely been stuck on romance for a long while now, most definitely on Historical romance. But I do jump from time to time with a new book in a different genre.

    The Hungry Caterpillar, Rainbow Fish and Harold and the Purple Crayon, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Dr, Seuss The Cat and the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham!!! Good times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. This is my first time here. New follower that loves all fiction. If it has a great story and an amazing ending then I am in. Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of either of those kids books but I am gonna have to go check them out for sure. they look really good!

    new bloglovin follower!

    Here's my FF

    Amber@Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENJOY your week!!

    My favorite is historical fiction.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Emily Planning on hopping on over to your blog, Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amanda P Thanks for following, planning on heading onto your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alysia loved your blog!Thanks for following...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kipha Thanks for dropping dropping by, Romance seems to be a lot of people's favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Amber If you can check them out, I highly recommend, Thanks for coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Elizabeth We've been meaning to dive into some historical fiction , particularly Asian themed. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't read fantasy very often, but I do have a few favs from that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great books that you ladies have mentioned :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your picks! I haven't read either but I have read tales about Anansi. I'll have to see if a library in town has these. Thanks for stopping by my FF. GFC follower.

    Kimber Leigh @ Kimber Leigh Writes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you guys sure picked some GREAT books for the Book Blogger Hop!! I've heard wonderful things about THE UNNATURALS and EON!! As for THE CLOCKWORK PRINCE, well, it's by Cassandra Clare. 'Nuff said!

    As for the books you picked for the Feature and Follow, all I can say is WOW. Those are STUNNING covers!!! Well, the first book's cover is by Leo and Diane Dillon, who happen to be my very FAVORITE book illustrators of all time!! Their art is absolutely beautiful. I love them so much I did several posts on them for my "Shelf Candy Saturday" feature.

    As for the second book, I love the cover, too! It's bold and just....THERE. Very dynamic! African art is GORGEOUS, with its bold, colorful prints (I'm thinking especially of traditional tribal clothing)!!

    Terrific posts, twinjas!! Have a FAB weekend, and thanks for visiting my BBH post and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh! Love your site ;) And I totally agree that YA needs more diversity! I haven't heard of your choices, but they look like fascinating read. Happy Friday! New GFC follower.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog concept of promoting Multiculturalism! Awesome idea!! I'm not familiar with either of your picture book pics, but they sure look great. I love that they both teach something really important and clever. And the artwork looks fabulous.

    Thank for stopping by!
    New GFC & FB follower :-)
    Berls @ Fantasy is More Fun

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh those are interesting, I haven't heard of those before. New follower, thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never read either of these books so I'll have to check them out.

    Following back via GFC and Facebook. :)

    Blessings,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember Anansi the Spider. I did like hearing that story in school. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I'm a new follower through bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't heard of your books but it's surely because I'm not an English native.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice list! I haven't seen those before. Thanks for stopping by and following :)

    New Bloglovin' follower.

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of this blog and your book picks are great. The cover for Why Mosquitoes Buss is really engaging.

    Thanks for stopping by the Harem.

    New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, Guin and Lib. These books are all new to me. But Anansi the Spider sounds interesting. :D And given the chance, I would definitely read Why the mosquitoes buzz in people's ears.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing, lovely ladies. Following back via GFC and bloglovin!

    -Thoughts and Pens

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice picks - I've never heard of them before!
    Thanks for coming to my blog, I followed back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm totally ashamed I don't know anything about these books. Maybe now I can buy them and share them with my niece. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my F&F. Following back via Bloglovin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for stopping by my FF, Guinevere! :) Haven't read this book, but I like that it has an important message, too.

    Old follower via GFC, but have returned the favour and followed via Bloglovin', and I've liked your FB page as well.

    Hope you have a super weekend.

    Sandra @ SSBF Blog

    Here’s my FF

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember Anansi the Spider from school, but I unfortunately haven't read the other one before!

    Thanks for stopping by - you now have a new follower. :)

    Happy (belated) Friday!
    Shaunna @ Scarlet Letters

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never read any of your picks before. Or maybe I did. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears seems familiar to me. And now I wonder why the mosquitoes do in the children's story version.

    Thanks for dropping by my site.

    New GFC follower

    Night of Snow

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list, there's a couple that I'm not familiar with...so I'll have to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting picks! New follower GFC :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both sound great. I love spiders (they are very mythological) so I'm curious about just how tricky that spider is. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks for stopping by my FF.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely post. I enjoyed taking a look at it all. :)

    Old follower!

    Thank you for stopping by my post earlier. Happy reading and have a great weekend!

    Sarika @ <a href="http://thereaddicts.blogspot.in/>The Readdicts</a>

    ReplyDelete
  33. Interesting list. Haven't heard of any of those though.

    Thanks for stopping by my FF - following back via Bloglovin'

    Nyx @ Unraveling Words

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was such a fun question! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I followed back via GFC :)
    Brittany @ Spare Time book blog

    ReplyDelete
  35. I haven't heard of either of those, but they sound like excellent choices! Thanks for stopping by. Old follower :)

    Traci @ Mad Hatter Reads

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the story of Anansi the trickster! And I really like that your blog is dedicated to finding multiculturalism in YA novels - they could really use more of it.

    Thanks for the follow! I've followed back via GFC & Bloglovin' as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. *ha* I own and love both those books!! I even have framed anansi spider drawings by my kiddos! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and for following. I'm following you as well - via GFC and BL. Oh, I liked your facebook page too. I'm going to share your blog with my oldest daughter (I think she's about your age) because I think she'll enjoy it too.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I added Anansi, The Spider to my TBR list. Looks cute!

    New Follower via FB, GFC, twitter, bloglovin'

    Rachel @ The Big Book Binge

    ReplyDelete
  39. I don't think that link works...here is a link, The Big Book Binge :) BTW I love your facebook page and all the book you post about different races or multi-races. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for hopping by to visit! I don't know either of these, so definitely going to have to check them out for all the little ones in my life :)

    New GFC follower!

    Leah @ Yummy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't know either of these but the artwork is stunning. Following you back via Bloglovin'
    Vilia @ Backchatting Books

    ReplyDelete
  42. I don't have children, but if I did I would pick up both of your F&F picks for them. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for stopping by my F&F. Following back via Bloglovin' :)

    I haven't read your picks but I may look into them for my nephews, especially Anansi the Spider.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'll have to check out Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears! Thanks for stopping by my FFF!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've not read the Anansi picture book, but I loved Neil Gaiman's depiction of him in both "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys."

    Swing by my FF, if you're so inclined!:
    http://thepookapicks.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/feature-follow-friday-9/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Living in Florida (AKA the Swamp) Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears! sounds like a perfect pick.
    Thanks for the follow.
    Returning the love through bloglovin'.
    Lisa @ My Favorite things

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great choices girls!!

    Thanx for visiting my FF!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
    New Twitter Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. great list.visiting back for Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey guys, great picks! I believe I read Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears when I was a kid. Now I want to read both Mosquitos and Anansi the Spider to my kids. :D Old follower by Bloglovin, GFC, and email - new Facebook fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great picks. Thanks for stopping by, following back (gfc) Have a Great Week!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I've not heard of either of those books but they sure do seem interesting! Thanks for your follow, I am following you back on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great choices! I like those as well. :)

    Brandy @ A Little of the Book Life
    New follower via bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great choices. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my FF.

    New follower via Bloglovin', GFC.
    Linsey @ mybooksnthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Not familiar with these books but I adore the cover pages! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm returning the follow via bloglovin' and gfc!
    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks for visiting my blog! You have a new follower here!

    I enjoyed The Infernal Devices books immensely. I love that Cassandra Clare always makes an effort to include diverse characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving awesome comments!We appreciate and reply to everyone!