Monday, July 1, 2013

How we define diversity......

So looking back at our last post I see that we haven't posted in almost 3 weeks XD But there's a totally reasonable explanation for that........You see what happened was Guinevere and I were in the beautiful Los Angeles, California. For anyone curious, my sister I and are from the east coast. In a small little ole state called Connecticut. And no Connecticut isn't a part of NYC, lol. We get that a lot!

But anyways back to the reason for our hiatus. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to log on to a computer when you're surrounded by beautiful palm trees and beaches, colorful skate parks and breathtaking landscapes. To be honest I don't know how anyone works out there! Being there work free, stress free and boyfriend free(hehe)for nearly two and a half weeks made it so hard to come back, but I'm glad we did. We're in need of some much needed new content!!!


I think the most rewarding part of our trip was the mountain upon mountains of diversity in Los Angeles. Los Angeles showed both of us a different side to diversity. It had such a different vibe and energy from the East Coast. Not better just completely different than we're used to and that was such an amazing experience! i think we both envy anyone that has the opportunity to be born in California because it is just beautiful. We saw Brown people, Pale people, Dark Brown people all together as one and it was so bloody amazing! We even got a chance to meet two of Guinevere's snail mail penpals(yes we still snail mail. It's fun you should try it, especially when you're sick of getting just bills in the mail)who are studying overseas from Spain and Malaysia.See how cute they look!!!


And for the first time ever in my life i got tan.....or tan-ner, lol. I didn't even know chocolate girls like me get tan. Again another amazing experience!!

We even got to visit our idol's stature in China town.R.I.P Bruce Lee
Check Guinevere out in here horse stance :)

But all in all being in a city like LA inspires us both and it's the reason why diversity is so important to us.Being immersed in a city that's completely colorful makes you want to understand and embrace people whom are different from you. And it had me thinking, how in the heck do we define diversity anyways???

This is how dictionary.com seems to define it......

di·ver·si·ty(http://dictionary.reference.com)

[dih-vur-si-tee] 
noun, plural di·ver·si·ties.
1.
the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness: diversity of opinion.
2.
variety; multiformity.
3.
a point of difference.
And to elaborate on that I want to add that diversity for us goes beyond race or skin color, But exploring sexual orientation, sex, religion ,disabilities and mental states. Sizeism(yes this is a real word :D) we notice is somewhat of a problem. We hope to explore these and many other topics so please stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Los Angeles is very diverse. I go to college there and I've met so many people from so many different places/backgrounds/perspectives. It's eye opening!

    and of course, the weather is gorgeous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved having a sneak peek of LA through you :).

    I suppose getting a tan was indeed odd for you LOL. Anyway, it's not that unusual. My boss adopted a little girl in Cambodia (a real beauty!), and she's the colour of dark chocolate during the summer. Of course, she's slightly paler than you two the rest of the year. Anyway, she does tan hugely!

    My favourite meaning for diversity is "variety". I love variety in all its forms :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess is a new adult book where the lead is half Indian :)
    Glad you liked LA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving awesome comments!We appreciate and reply to everyone!