Monday, March 30, 2015

Diverse Book Tours Presents: Maybe Baby/ Maybe Tonight-Author Interview w/ Kim Golden

Welcome to the "Maybe Baby/ Maybe Tonight" Tour featuring author Kim Golden!

Presented by Diverse Book Tours

We got a chance to sit down with Kim Golden for an interview, her first time on our blog =) We've gotten a chance to connect through amazing Goodreads communities, Interracial and Diverse fiction forums, and now that she's on tour, it seems fitting to ask her some questions!


What can you tell us about yourself as a person, as well as an author?

Well, I’m a total book nerd, always have been and probably always will be. I was one of those girls who spent her allowance on books instead of buying clothes or makeup. And even if I am a bit cynical, I believe in love at first sight, which is probably why I often write about it. I love traveling and I try to incorporate my experiences into my writing.


What is your first memory of being a writer?

When I was a kid growing up in Philly, I’d write these long and very detailed letters to my grandparents, who lived in a small town in Virginia. I’d bug my parents about writing these letters and making sure there were stamps at home. I think that’s when I first started thinking of myself as a writer—at least, I knew I loved writing then.

What went into writing this book and who were the people (if any) that inspired these characters?

A lot of conversations with friends about relationships and people-watching in Stockholm and Copenhagen. It ended up being what I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2012. Laney was inspired by a lot of different people, but I pictured Kerry Washington as Laney whenever I was writing about her. Mads was also based on several different people. When I pictured him in my head while I was writing, I envisioned Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

I know it's hard, but do you have a ultimate favorite character, you've created? And why?

It’s a toss up between Mia from Snowbound and Laney from Maybe Baby. Both of them are such complicated women. They behave badly, they both have fractured backgrounds and they’re both trying to figure out what they want. Mia is more single-minded about it than Laney. But I think Mia is comfortable enough in her own skin to know her mind and understand more what she needs. It takes Laney a little longer to get to that point.

Why do you find diversity important in your writing?

I grew up reading books that didn’t always reflect anything of the life I saw around me. I’m originally from Philadelphia, and I was used to living in a racially mixed neighborhood, having friends from different ethnic backgrounds, dating guys from different backgrounds—but the books I found never showed that sort of life. It was hard to find books featuring black heroines that weren’t “issues” novels.

Black women need to be seen in books, movies on TV. We don’t need to be relegated to simply being the feisty friend when we are the stars of our own lives. And I want to write books where the women are front and center and whose lives are not stereotypical.

What do you thing is the hardest thing about writing a book?

Starting a book isn’t difficult. Everyone tells you that’s the hard part, but it isn’t. The hard part is finishing. It’s easy to get distracted or lose faith in your writing. When that happens, it can take forever to finish writing a book. Sometimes, you never return to it. So, yeah, finishing is the hardest part.

What makes you choose a cover for your book(for self published authors)?

I always look for an impactful cover image. Ariana Karmic of Cover It! Designs designed the covers for Maybe Baby, Maybe Tonight and my upcoming novels, Maybe Tomorrow and Maybe Forever. She has such a great eye for detail and she knows how to capture the visual tonality of a book. Once I’ve found possible images for the cover, I send them to her and she creates fantastic cover mock-ups. We talk about which direction to go in…and she always comes up with something spectacular. She knows I like keeping it simple, and that I like covers that capture the mood of my novels without telling the entire story.

Are there any interest tidbits about your writing process?

I am  a Pinterest junkie. I could spend hours (and sometimes I do) looking for setting images, inspiration for my characters…you name it. I also have this thing about notebooks. And the right pen. Mostly it’s for good luck.

What do you believe is your marketed genre? Is it hard to market a book in that genre?

I write IR/MC (interracial/multicultural) women’s fiction with romantic elements. I don’t think I write romances. I write love stories. I don’t follow the “rules” of romance. It’s not always the easiest to market. Some bloggers don’t seem at all interested in IR stories.

Why did you choose the genre in which you write?

When I was in high school, I always wondered why there were no (or very few, often with tragic endings) IR romances and love stories. I didn’t know it was a specific genre then. I just started writing them for myself and then my classmates found out I was writing novels and stories instead of paying attention in class. They started passing around my stories. I never really thought about the fact that what I was writing might be new, I just wrote what I liked. And I was in an interracial relationship, so I was writing what I knew.

What piece of advice would you give a writer about to be in your position, who is just starting out?

The most important writing advice I ever received was from my thesis advisor, sci-fi/fantasy author Tom De Haven. He said I should write what I like reading and forget about anything else. So, I write the stories I like and I think that any writer should do that. Write what you like reading. Write the characters whose stories speak to you.

Do you typically start with characters, or plot first?

Usually a vision of a character pops up in my mind and then the plot forms around it. When I decided to write Maybe Baby, Laney’s character came first—I knew she would be a difficult character who would lead me down weird paths. Then Mads’s character came a few weeks later. The story seemed to blossom around them.

Do you have any current favorite reads?

I’m nearly done reading Dwayne Johnson’s Forty Acres, and it packs a punch. Then there’s Christina C. Jones’s paranormal love story, Haunted, which I just finished reading. It’s sexy, eerie…great story! And now I’m reading Nia Forrester’s The Come Up and it’s awesome.

Who are some of the people that inspired you to write?

My grandmother. She always encouraged me to write stories.


What do you consider the most memorable line in your book?

I don’t know if it’s memorable, but it’s my favorite line from Maybe Baby. It’s a line Mads etches into the desk he makes for Laney as a way of showing her he loves her.

Uanset hvad framtiden byder os, vil jeg altid være gled for at du åbnede døren til dit liv og lod mig elske dig.

It translates to No matter what the future has in store for us, I will always be glad that you opened the door to your life and let me love you.

Since you are an accomplished author, what have you learned each time you've penned a new book, that perhaps you didn't know from the last book?

Each book is different. The writing process is never really the same. You think it will be the same each time, but it never is. So I’ve learned to plan. Think about the story I want to tell, get to know my characters and setting, before I even put words on the page. Once I feel like I have a good grasp of them, I write an outline. But no matter what—never expect the process of writing to be exactly the same from book to book.

What can you tell us about your future in writing? Anything in the works?

I’ve written two sequels to Maybe Baby and Maybe Tonight: Maybe Tomorrow and Maybe Forever. I plan to publish both this year. Then I’m working on a YA serial novella and finishing a novel I started a few years ago. I’ve got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Where can potential readers learn more about you and your current and future projects?

They can follow me on my author site, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. They can also see if I’ve started any inspiration boards on Pinterest—a sure sign that I’m starting a new project.

What are some of the things you like about being self published(for self published authors only)?

Being self-published means I have complete control: I get to decide what my covers look like, I get to decide when my books come out and how many books per year I write. Even thought my life would probably be easier if I had a big publishing company behind me, I like that I get to make these decisions myself. There’s no one telling me my stories won’t appeal to this person or that person. I know they appeal to people because I read the emails my readers send me and I speak to them everyday via social media.

What are some themes or genres you'd like to explore in your future writing that you haven't?

I’m thinking about writing a paranormal women’s fiction novel. I’ve always liked ghost stories. A few years ago, I wrote a short story called “Linger” that is a ghost story of sorts and I’ve been thinking about expanding it into a novella or a novel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Maybe Baby & Maybe Tonight
Author Name: Kim Golden
ISBN: 9789198174601/ 9789198174618
Publisher: Echo Books-Stockholm
Formats Available: Ebook & Paperback/ebook only for Maybe Tonight
Genre:IR/MC Women's Fiction 
Release Date: March 2014
Synopsis: 
Imagine finding out you could never have a baby with the man you love... 
Expat American Laney Halliwell finds out the hard way when Niklas tells her he had a vasectomy before they met and isn't interested in reversing it. Why should he? They've got his kids from his first marriage and an enviable life in Stockholm. 

What if you fell in love in the most unexpected way...? 

But Laney wants more. So when a friend suggests she look into an alternative sperm bank in Copenhagen to find a potential father for her baby, things don't go exactly as planned. Especially when Laney meets Mads and finds herself falling in love.



Purchase Links:



Available via other formats:


About Kim:


Kim Golden was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1995, she left the US and moved to Sweden for love with a capital L. When she isn't writing fiction, she writes copy for a Swedish cosmetics firm. 

She writes stories for people who know that love comes in every color.

Want to find out more about Kim's writing and get sneak peak on her updates?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving awesome comments!We appreciate and reply to everyone!